Talent is at the core of every business’ success. Talented team members not only know how to do their jobs well but they also know how to collaborate and cater to customer needs. These team members will increase customer loyalty thereby improving your bottom-line and alleviating workplace tensions.
It’s always an ideal time for managers to recommit themselves to top talent recruitment, development, and retention. Central to any talent management strategy is a dynamic coaching culture led by managers who possess a range of coaching competencies. If your business isn’t already employing coaching strategies then you’re working from behind the competition!
Strive to become a talent magnet by mastering these 7 Coaching Skills
- Be consistent. Standing, sacred 1:1’s are just that. Due to natural workplace conflicts, coaching sessions may get nudged around the calendar, but they happen with religious conviction.
- Expect and model dynamic collaboration. Think and say “we.”
- Build trusting, transparent, and supportive partnerships.
- Be goal focused. Each conversation has a clear outcome that’s mutually beneficial and measurable.
- Insist on action. Accountability is built upon agreements that move the business forward.
- Don’t feed their monkeys. The employee must own the path forward; change comes from within.
- Follow the 80 / 20 rule. 80% of coach communication is open-ended questions (implicates you for being a deep listener), and 20% is teaching (not telling or selling) the employee something of value to them, not you.
Hopefully this quick coaching primer energizes you to create the vibrant and focused workplace that today’s top talent seeks.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Focused. Definitely Keep it Inspiring. –Steve
Want more key insight to managing talent and becoming a talent magnet? Head over to the resources page to download the eBook Managing Talent is Talented Management, the PDF document Coaching High Performers, and the Performance Accountability Cycle model.